And another one...

Had a nice walk with a friend last week through the Frome Valley in Bristol. There’s a tea stall at the other end by the old mill that has been there  all of the 30 years that I’ve been going, but it wasn’t the couple who ran it when I used to go often in the 1990s with my children.

 

I ordered our drinks and then asked the proprietor if he could tell me what cakes they have. He sighed and, presumably pointing:

 

Him: “They’re all down there in the fridge” 

 

Me: “I’m blind, so will need you to read them out please”

 

Him (sighing irritably and over-annunciating every word): “It’s written up right by you on the window”

 

Me: “As I said, I am blind and that means that I can’t see, so I can’t read the sign. Can you tell me what cakes you’ve got please”

 

Him (sighing again and talking very fast and almost to himself facing the fridge presumably and away from me – clearly not wanting me to hear him): “Carrot cake, coffee cake and (something else that I couldn’t hear properly)”

 

Me: “One Carrot cake and one coffee cake please”

 

Me (half a minute later while he was preparing the order): “So you read them out and got some trade from it”

 

Him: “indeed I did”

 

He then proceeded to fulfil my order and behave in that Uriah Heapian manner of resentful over-Servility. I maintained my courtesy, but  not without some degree of strain.

 

Comments

  1. I'm appalled.What is the problem for some people to act in a respectful way? Should be reported as presumably they get a licence from the council to trade and this type off behaviour is discriminatory and an access issue...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On-street greetings - continued

'Are you causing trouble again?'

Trip hazards part 17