At the physiotherapist

A few years ago, I had a bad fall and caused some damage to my knee. I was referred for a course of NHS physiotherapy  . I naturally enough thought that they would have come across blind people as patients before and to have some level of training and understanding about how to make their practice accessible to visually impaired patients (or those with any other impairment). However,  this turned out not to be the case.

 

Over a period of months with regular visits, each time seeing different physiotherapists from the team, I was surprised  that while they all clearly understood that my white stick represented blindness, few had any understanding of what it meant in practice – that association between blindness and not being able to see seemed to have missed them.

 

While a couple of women did understand it and adapted their practice accordingly, I was surprised that the others (mainly the men) seemed to take it in verbally, but couldn’t stop pointing, saying:

“watch me”,

“like this”

“do it this way”

“look what I’m doing”

“you’re doing it like this”

 

Even when I suggested that it would be helpful if they could try to describe what they were trying to impart to me, they could not do it.

 

I resorted to going to a private physio who, without issue, took on my access needs and I couldn’t have hoped for better descriptions and demonstrations of the exercises I was given.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Are you causing trouble again?'

On-street greetings - continued

They just can't help themselves