You all know each other don't you - revisited.

In my earlier post with this title, I described the irritating and diminishing way that so many people still assume that all the blind (or Black, Asian, gay etc) people in a city know each other.

 

I’ve always found it hard to  know what to say in response, when someone trying to be friendly says:

“We’ve got a blind chap at work, I bet you know him… He’s a right laugh, lovely dog (it sings the national anthem, really, well not with words obviously’”

 

I always run a set of internal replies posing challenges, offering curt rebuffs, explaining why it is unlikely that I might know the person in question… but never feeling entirely  comfortable about how to say it.

 

After all these years, I have the answer. It’s so obvious:

 

 

Him. “We’ve got a blind chap at work, I bet you know him… He’s a right laugh, lovely dog (it sings the national anthem, really, well not with words obviously’”

 

Me. “We’ve got a guy at work, complete twat, you must know him”.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On-street greetings - continued

'Are you causing trouble again?'

They just can't help themselves