It's like playing chess

I’m finding it hard to manage walking while maintaining a distance of two metres from a companion and harder still to negotiate distance on the pavement with passers bye. This is magnified in shops where seeing where others are going, anticipating their movements and adjusting your own in response to them seems to be the way of operating. I have very little sight and while I know how to use it well, it is a struggle to have so many new things to manage while walking around and my eyes tire quickly.

 

I can’t see enough to make eye contact and often find that people don’t realise that I am speaking to them. At  the new two metre distance, it is much harder still to manage communications, for example  in negotiating my place in a queue outside shops. Similarly, to respect a shop’s rule of limiting the number of customers, requires the ability to see  and assess who is already in and where they are inside, grasp the rules of entry and queuing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On-street greetings - continued

'Are you causing trouble again?'

They just can't help themselves